The master apartment of the Petivan Plantation Guest house is a 2 Bedroom, 2 Bath corporate suite with large kitchen which opens to a comfortable living room.
The Petivan Plantation’s Sarradet Guest House’s main bedroom is equipped with highly insulating, Room Darkening shades. If you need to work nights, you can close the room darkening shades and rest easy. Enjoy your leisure time on the comfortable sofa, or the front porch swing.
B. Lemann & Bros – c. 1877 The oldest family-oriented department store in Louisiana. Built in the Italianate style, with arched windows and brackets, it is constructed of brick and stucco, with molded pilasters and window details.
Crescent Park – Designed as a waterfront park to welcome river traffic, as the central marketplace of social activity.
Bel House – c. 1860 Served as a pharmacy on the lower level and living quarters above. Originally, there were two buildings, one for the kitchen, and the other for servants’ quarters. The buildings were restored and connected in 1978. Vieux Carre style, using stucco, cast-iron columns and piers, with a balcony.
Historic Fort Butler – c. 1863 A pivotal Civil War site, engineered by West Point and built to guard the confluence of the Mississippi River and Bayou Lafourche.
Ascension Jail – c. 1867 The jail and sheriff’s offices were on the first floor, and a courtroom, recorder’s office and jury room were on the upper floor.
Ascension Parish Courthouse – c. 1889 The Romanesque Revival style building was constructed with widely detailed brick arches.
The Grapevine Café & Gallery – Grapevine Cafe’ and Gallery opened its doors in February 2001 in a 1920’s two story commercial building in historic downtown Donaldsonville. The building had been in major disrepair and took over a year of painstaking attention to restore and preserve it to National Historic Preservation guidelines. The building has unique Art Deco style brickwork on the upper story and the original hand crafted mosaic tile floors downstairs. www.grapevinecafeandgallery.com
Louisiana Square – Served as a park in front of the future site of the state capitol building in 1830, and was originally utilized as a parade and training grounds for the town militia in 1837. An arsenal and an armory were also located there in 1840.
First United Methodist Church – c. 1844 Exemplifying the Gothic revival style with pointed arches and gingerbread décor, the cypress pews, altar rails, pulpit and sanctuary chairs are original.
River Road African American Museum – c. 1920 Located in a restored Caribbean-style cottage which was once the home of retired instructor, Sylvia Watkins, the museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving and exhibiting rural Louisiana art, artifacts, and buildings related to the history and culture of African-Americans. www.africanamericanmuseum.org
Slave House – c. 1860 This one-story frame plain cottage was once utilized as slave quarters.
Cabahanosse Bed & Breakfast, Antiques & Gifts – [Bahry Building] – c. 1900 This two story frame structure is a galleried, commercial building. A former family-owned store and residence, it has a wide upper gallery, and an original, intact double shop front. www.cabahanosse.com
The Victorian on the Avenue (Bed & Breakfast) – c.
True Friends Benevolent Society Hall – c. 1883 A two-story frame commercial-style building, with a second story gallery, and bungalow columns added later, housed one of the oldest and largest benevolent societies in Louisiana.
Bikur Sholim Jewish Cemetery – c. 1856 Because of a yellow fever epidemic and limited burial space in New Orleans, Jewish victims were brought here to be buried. This cemetery was utilized for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
Ascension of Our Lord Catholic Church – c. 1875-1896 Surrounded by stately oaks and crepe myrtles, the Church of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ continues to serve the community of Donaldsonville today as it has for more than two hundred and thirty years.
Ascension of Our Lord Cemetery – c. 1775 (pre-Civil War) Listed in the National Register of Historic places, the cemetery is the final resting place of notable citizens of the area. Both Confederate and Union Army soldiers are buried here.
Bank of Ascension – c. 1896 This one-story Grand columnar, pedimented Beaux Arts temple-front bank has a white glazed terra cotta façade, ornamental framework, and arched windows.
Bank of Donaldsonville – c. 1892 This two-story brick Romanesque Revival commercial building with brick gable and corbel table was chartered as the Bank of Donaldsonville, under the leadership of Henry McCall, a sugar planter and a member of the Louisiana Sugar Planter’s League. It remains as one of the oldest buildings in the city.
Elks Lodge – c. 1912 The Elks organization erected a two-story brick building with a raised “basement” on Railroad Avenue, across the street from the Masonic Temple. The building is of brick in a vaguely Renaissance Revival style with shallow arched openings and wrought-iron works on the second story, with elaborate brackets.
Masonic Temple – c. 1890 This is the only three-story building in the city. The architecture is Romanesque Revival with elaborate brick ornamentation.
Ascension Film Locations – Tour Ascension